While many modern prescription drugs were developed from herbs or other naturally occurring compounds, traditionally, herbs are not used like drugs, i.e., merely to address a symptom. While a prescription for a headache will usually only address the symptom, a herbalist will want to find out the headache’s cause and address that if possible. Herbs address different body systems and can support a wide range of health problems.
Whole plants are used in herbal medicine. This enables more than one avenue for their use – for example, feverfew is a good anti-inflammatory action and has anti-cancer activity; it is not just good for headaches.
When taking herbs, it is important to take appropriate amounts for a suitable amount of time. Health food shop employees are rarely trained sufficiently to give you that kind of advice – it is important to consult a properly trained herbalist. Dr. Fidler will test you to see how much and of what herbs you should be taking to optimize your health.
This is especially important if you are taking other medications.
Conditions Managed @RH
- Arthritis and joint problems
- Acne, rashes and skin problems
- Allergies, eczema, asthma
- Cancers and post-chemotherapy support
- Chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia
- Chronic infections
- Circulation and heart conditions
- Coughs, colds, and sinus problems
- Cystitis (Bladder Infections) and urinary tract issues
- Detoxification from heavy metals, and chronic malnutrition
- Digestion, irritable bowel syndrome, reflux, celiacs disease
- Emotional regulation, stress management, oppositional defiance disorder (child)
- Functional endocrinology
- Infertility, menopause, pregnancy
- Lyme Disease
- Memory and concentration issues, “brain fog”, brain chemistry
- Neurotransmitter function
- Painful periods, heavy bleeding, pre-menstrual symptoms
- Poor immunity, frequent colds
- Recovery from surgery/long illness/debility
In general, children, pregnant women, and those who are breastfeeding can take some form of herbs. Please notify your team as soon as possible if you become pregnant or are breastfeeding.